The activities of the Institute are organized into divisions, of which seven are for research, development and consultancy activities. Each division comprises of Units. Furthermore, there are Associated Institutions and dedicated R&D Centres of the Institute.
This Institute of National Importance is a unique multi-locational one. The Headquarters are in Kolkata and Centres in Bengaluru, Delhi, Chennai and Tezpur and a branch in Giridih. The academic programmes are offered in these locations. In addition, there are offices in Coimbatore, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Pune, Vadodara primarily for consultancy on statistical quality control and operation research in a wide range of industries.
- Administrative Services Division
- Applied Statistics Division
- Associate Institutions Division
- Biological Sciences Division
- Computer and Communication Sciences Division
- Computer & Statistical Service Centre
- Library, Documentation and Information Science Division
- Physics and Earth Sciences Division
- Social Sciences Division
- Statistical Quality Control and Operations Research Division
- Teaching and Training Division
- Theoretical Statistics and Mathematics Division